Check other recent opportunities.
The Department of History (http://history.ucsd.edu) within the Division of Arts and Humanities at the University of California, San Diego looks for an assistant professor specializing in the Early Modern history of the Mediterranean and the World. Our preference is for a scholar whose research and teaching utilizes a transnational approach to the study of the Mediterranean, and whose scholarship contextualizes and connects the region with the other parts of the globe such as the greater Atlantic world, Africa, the Middle East or South Asia. The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in History or a related field at the time of appointment on July 1, 2018.
Candidates must demonstrate strong or potential accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego’s commitment to achieving academic excellence and diversity. This search has been designated as a Diversity Search, meaning that previous and/or potential contributions to diversity will be considered and carry strong weight in the final selection process alongside research, teaching and service.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and based on University of California pay scales.
November 1st, 2017. Application online. Application materials will be accepted electronically at: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01505. Please submit a cover letter, C.V., three letters of recommendation and a separate personal statement summarizing experience and leadership contributions in the arena of equity and diversity. For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see: (http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp). Further materials, including syllabi, and a writing sample may be requested at a later date.Required documents:
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3-5 letters of reference required. Cover letters should summarize research agenda, teaching experience and interests, as well as leadership efforts. Three letters of recommendation should be uploaded electronically by letter-writers familiar with the applicant’s scholarly trajectory, teaching experience, and efforts to achieve equity and diversity. Interviews will be held at the meeting of the American Historical Association in Washington DC in January 2018.
- Cover Letter – Cover letter should summarize research agenda, teaching experience and interests, as well as leadership efforts.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- Writing sample – may be requested at a later date. (Optional)
- Syllabi – may be requested at a later date. (Optional)
- Statement of Contributions to diversity – Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
Proof of authorization to work in the U.S. will be required prior to employment (Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). For applicants interested in spousal/partner employment, please visit the UCSD Partner Opportunities Program website at: (https://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/aps/partneropp/).