What: 4 ph.d. scholarship at the RIAS – Roosevelt Institute for American Studies in Middelburg (NL).
When/Where: 1st november 2017, Middelburg (NL)
Topics: two options are available:
1. the domestic dimensions of the Rooseveltian Century: US political developments, the role of government, the relevance of the media, state-citizen relations, domestic security, religion, gender and race relations, civil rights, the environment, science, popular culture.
2. the international dimensions of the Rooseveltian Century: US foreign relations and ambitions, international organisations, hemispheric and regional relations, empire, transatlantic relations, military capabilities and global security, international law, soft power and public diplomacy, trade and finance.
- (Research) Master’s degree in History, American Studies, or International Relations.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Demonstrable interest in the research program of the RIAS. A PhD project should convincingly engage with the theme of the Rooseveltian Century.
- Willingness to work in an international academic community that aspires to the highest levels of scholarly excellence.
- The successful candidates will receive a scholarship of €2,100 gross per month. They will be required to be resident in Middelburg. Each candidate will initially be offered a scholarship of one year, and prolongation of the scholarship for a further three years is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year. In the second or third year there may be opportunities for a semester abroad at either the London School of Economics or SciencesPo, Paris.
- Each candidate will need to fulfil a Research Development Plan as part of the requirements for the PhD programme. The RIAS will make use of the regulations for attaining a PhD as used by Leiden University. Leiden University will be the institution for the PhD.
- The scholarship’s conditions require that all candidates must either be from an EU member state or have a resident status in the Netherlands.
How to apply and deadline: Letters of application should be submitted in English to email@example.com before Monday 4 September 2017 (12.00 hours). They should include:
- A cover letter
- An outline for a project connected with a Rooseveltian Century theme, including a research question and brief historiographical framework (maximum number of words 1500)
- Curriculum vitae and a list of publications (if applicable)
- A copy of a completed (research) MA thesis, including the grade (in the Dutch system, an 8 or higher will be preferred)
- Proof of English language proficiency for non-native English speakers or those without an undergraduate degree obtained in The Netherlands or an English-speaking country (IELTS 7.0 or lower will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, e.g. in the case of other compensatory factors such as unique experience and expertise)
- Details of two referees (with full postal addresses, telephone numbers and emails). Referees will be contacted directly by the search committee.
For any further info contact Prof. dr. Giles Scott-Smith, Academic Director: firstname.lastname@example.org