Teaching Assistant in African languages and cultures in Ghent (BE)
WHEN / WHERE
Ghent (BE) – Ghent University
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
TASKS AND ELIGIBILITY
- You will assist in the practice-based teaching at the programme of African Languages and Cultures, in particular in the teaching trajectory African Literature. In addition, you will assist in the programme’s information- and student recruitment tasks, as well as in its internationalization policy.
- You hold a degree of Master in African Languages and Cultures, Master in African Studies and/or you hold a degree of Master in the Faculty Arts and Philosophy with a master thesis on a theme within African literature. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are involved in other professional activities and/or you have demonstrable experience that may contribute to the quality of the practice-based teaching at the department.
- You are interested in a teaching assignment in the field concerned.
- You are interested in services, in particular information and student recruitment tasks and internationalization.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
APPLICATION AND CONDITIONS
Deadline: 10 November 2020.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv in pdf format
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
Conditions of employment
- We offer you a 2 year appointment, which may be renewed. Attention: You cannot be appointed for a cumulative percentage of more than 30% as a Teaching Assistant at Ghent University.
- Your appointment will start on 1 December 2020 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave (per year for a full-time employment), bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Inge Brinkman (Inge.Brinkman@UGent.be).