The American Sephardi Federation’s Institute of Jewish Experience in conjunction with Association Mimouna and the Institute of Semitic Studies, Princeton, NJ announce their second annual scholarly and cultural conference.
WHEN / WHERE
June 17-19, 2019
Center for Jewish History, 15 W 16th St., New York, NY 1001
Recommended Subjects for Presentations
- Cultural elements shared by the Muslim majority and the Jewish minority
- Moroccan Jewish identity today in Morocco and the Diaspora
- Moroccan Muslims maintaining Jewish art, religious sites and cultural events
- Special historical and cultural contributions of cities and places (e.g. Essaouira)
- Spiritual and social life of Moroccan Jews and Muslims, past, present and future
- Similarities and differences between m’gorashim, toshavim and others
- Morocco as a Jewish tourist site
- Online memory communities
- Moroccan Rabbinic figures and the hilula
- Paytanists, poets, and songs throughout the ages
APPLICATION & DEADLINE
Proposals for workshops and focused sessions are welcome. Sessions addressing methods to improve teaching, research, writing, or presentation of the Moroccan Jewish experience are welcome, along with sessions addressing current research projects. Of particular interest are sessions addressing cross-cultural customs amongst Jews and Muslims in Morocco. Proposals should include the following: (1) Name, address, email address, affiliation, and daytime phone number of workshop/session coordinator (2) Workshop/Session title; (3) Type of session (4) General content of session and names of presenters. All workshops/focused sessions should be designed for delivery within a 60 minute period. Participants leading workshops/focused sessions are expected to register for the conference.
Submissions to be made to email@example.com.
A limited number of student travel grants will be available for students at all levels.
The travel grant application deadline is also January 15, 2019 and must be requested during the abstract submission process.
Some travel expenses will be covered for presenters.