Call for papers ECSR Thematic Workshop Migration, Social Stratification and Inequality
WHEN / WHERE
Department of Social and Political Sciences, University of Milan. Via Conservatorio 7, Milan, Italy. March 14-15, 2019
Research on social stratification and mobility and migration studies are both interested in the issue of inequality: both research streams are indeed concerned with the analysis of the impact of birthcharacteristics on life chances. This workshop aims to integrate these two areas of research, promotingand encouraging the dialogue between sociologists and labour economists interested in geographicalmobility. Do the mechanisms of reproduction of social inequality work differently among migrants andtheir descendants? Have migrants worse life opportunities net of social class? How does such penaltychange among migrants with different social origin?The workshop addresses these issues encouraging contributions on the following topics:
- • migration status and social mobility;
- • migration penalty and labour market dynamics;
- • educational opportunities of the second generations;
- • family and migration dynamics;
- • migration, human mobility and social inequality.
APPLICATION & DEADLINE
Deadline: 15 December 2018.
Abstracts of max. 1000 words (plus three keywords) can be submitted to email@example.com
- Herbert Bruecker, Institute for Employment Research (IAB) & University of Bamberg
- Anthony Heath, Nuffield College, Oxford University
- Douglas Massey, Princeton University