Check other recent calls and fellowships.
The 2nd International Ottoman Turkish Critical-Edition Course will be organized within the scope of Late Classical Period Project of the Centre for Islamic Studies. Throughout the course, participants will be given theory-oriented seminars followed by practice-oriented seminars every day. At the end of the course, participants will be expected to submit a work on Critical-Edition regarding the training.
WHEN / WHERE
From 26th of June to 7th of July 2018 participants will receive training from the experts, consisting of the necessary knowledge and skills to study on Critical-Editing of manuscripts in Ottoman Turkish at the İslâm Araştırmaları Merkezi (İSAM).
- History and theory of Critical-Edition
- Science ethics
- Primary resources (biographical, bibliographical, encyclopaedias)
- Selection of subject, manuscript and edition (copy)
- Palaeography information, history of writings and writing types (illumination, miniature, manuscript knowledge, binding, paper, ink)
- In-manuscript records (darkanār, qaid al-farāgh, istinsākh and fawāid)
- Sings and inscriptions on how to read a manuscript (aruz prosody)
- Composing edition genealogy and characterisation of an edition
- Work type-setting, verse form and type knowledge
- Transcription, spelling and punctuation
- Display of variation (apparatus, variant, rules and practises)
- Iktibās, Quotation of Persian and Arabic patterns
- Text restoration and text intervention cases
- Prosody, rhyme, repeated noise knowledge, assonance, alliteration, parallelism
- Construction and publication tradition of prosaic works
- Inter-language translation
Applicants who are enrolled into an MA, MSc or Ph.D. program may submit an application for the course. Those who are currently studying on the Critical-Edition of an Ottoman Turkish will be prioritized. For those who are doing their masters will be expected to be in their dissertation year.
Course Language: All courses will be in Turkish. Applicants are expected to be qualified in reading manuscripts in different Ottoman Turkish styles.
Practice Stage: In this stage of the course applicants will practice Critical-Editing on a selected section of a manuscript. Therefore, applicants will be expected to have a laptop and use transcription signs.
Course Fee: The applicants will not be asked any fee for the course.
Transportation, Accommodation, and Meals: Applicants’ transportation and accommodation expenses will not be compensated by ISAM. Lunch will be provided by ISAM to applicants during the course duration.
Announcement of Results: The applicants will be informed via e-mail about the results. Make sure your contact information written in the application form is correct and up to date.