Call for papers for the PhD Conference “Belonging and Migration in Emerging Scholarship: Concepts, Perceptions, Experiences and Representations”
WHEN / WHERE
Thursday, 14th November 2019. The conference is convened by Resident Scholars of the UCD Humanities Institute. Details of how to get to the Humanities Institute can be found at:
The idea of belonging and migration has been a literary and artistic topos since Homer’s Odyssey. From the housing crisis in Ireland to the issues surrounding migration in the currentscenario of the Mediterranean, recent years have seen an increase of artistic representations of home, together with critical responses to the issues of migration and hospitality.
In recognising the importance of belonging and migration at the present moment, the 2019 UCD Humanities Institute Scholars’ Conference is seeking proposals from emerging scholars and artists who are engaging with competing concepts, perceptions, experiences and representations of migrants and migration. Organizers invite proposals for individual papers of 20 minutes, or 3-paper panel sessions, that address issues of migration, housing, the longing to belong and being at a distance from home. Topics could include, but are not limited to:
• Competing concepts of belonging and inclusion in the age of migration
• Artistic and literary representations of migration and belonging
• Spatial and architectural aspects of migration
• Social practices of inclusion and exclusion
• Artistic and literary representations of the lost home as seen from afar: homecoming and nostalgia
• Critical responses to migration and/or the idea of shelter and asylum
• The role played by social media in an era of migration and lives lived far away from home
• Migrant families, networks and friendships
• Entangled and mobile identities
• Monolingualism, multi-lingualism and belonging
• Religion and belonging
• Gender and migration; class and migration
• Historical outline of migration
Please submit an abstract of 250 words and a biography of around 200 words to firstname.lastname@example.org the deadline of 5 pm Friday 5th July 2019. All proposals should include your name, email address and academic affiliation (if applicable). Please also include a main subject field plus secondary subject field in the application. The conference will be held in English language.
For further information contact Resident HI Scholars Bianca Rita Cataldi and Mike Norris at the above email address.