Check other recent calls and fellowships.
International conference on the fragmentary nature of existing studies on Italy and the Canal.
WHEN / WHERE
Turin, 23-24 May, 2019.
The Conference aims to overcome the fragmentary nature of existing studies on Italy and the Canal, and to propose innovative research and materials, which might improve the understanding of different moments and episodes of Italian history, of Italy’s role and presence in the Mediterranean and the Middle East, and of the globalization of the Italian economy, as seen from the perspective of the Canal.
Contributions based on original research that may somehow intersect both the Canal’s and Italian history, in different periods, from the mid-19th century to the present, particularly —though not exclusively— on the following subjects, are welcomed:
- History of historiography
- Non-governmental actors and international organizations
- Cultural history, representations and discourses on modernity
- Religious and linguistic encounters
- Labor and professional migration
- Infrastructure, ports, networks of transport and communication
- Banking, investment and trade
- Oil and other commodities
- War passages, strategic and military aspects
- Colonial connections
- International and maritime law and legal governance
- Health and medicine
- Ecology and the environment
APPLICATION & DEADLINE
Proposals (400-500 words, in English) and a short cv with main publications (max 300 words) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 October 2018.
Participants will be notified by late November and will be expected to hand in a foot-noted draft paper (6000 words) by 30 March 2019.
The organization will take charge of accommodation and meals in Turin.