Check other recent calls and fellowships.
WHEN / WHERE
Athens, 2-4 November, 2018.
Topics of consideration for the proposals will include, but not be limited to:
– Shifting nationalities and passports
– Consuls, vice-consuls and consular agents / dragomans – Transnational families; transnational companies
– Trade networks and legal institutions
– Religion and identity; languages; education
– Shipping lines, agencies, and family networks
– Western European national clubs, sports and cafes
– Levantine architecture: influences and styles
– Flows of technology, political movements and ideologies
Levantines & Greeks in the East
– Why and how did people in the Levant switch nationality?
– Comparison of Levantine and Greek expansion patterns in the Mediterranean and beyond: intercommunal relations and boundaries
– Pilgrims and refugees in the Levant
– Levantines and the September 1922 Exodus events (refugees and humanitarian relief recipients)
Levantines in Greece and the world
– The Levantine presence in Greece
– Aspects of cosmopolitanism in late 19th – early 20th century Athens and other cities
– Perception of Levantines and “Levantinism” in Greek literature and historiographical sources
– Foreign / Levantine communities in Greece and beyond – community solidarity versus assimilation – Movement of people and ideas, establishment of immigrant and diaspora communities
APPLICATION / INFORMATION
Proposals should include title and abstracts (limited to 400 words) and a 1-paragraph biographical note of the author(s) including the name(s) of the presenter(s), institutional affiliations where applicable, mailing address, telephone number and email address. Presentation duration is 20 minutes.
The language of presentations will be English.
The deadline for sending the proposals is 1 July 2018. All correspondence, including the proposals, should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals will be reviewed by members of the LHF Conference Committee.
Notifications will be sent to applicants by 31 July 2018.